To break into the competitive but rewarding graphic design industry, you’ll need an exciting portfolio, excellent subject knowledge, the skills to use the latest professional equipment and technology – and your own unique flair in creatively solving communication problems.
So, if you’re looking for a graphic design foundation course that will develop your skills and confidence in a supportive, dynamic environment then look no further. Your introductory year will give you the technical expertise and knowledge to progress to our highly respected undergraduate programme.
Following your foundation year, our hands-on course is designed to take you to your creative limits and graduate with the confidence, experience and skills that are so sought after by employers in this highly selective but exciting industry.
We’re very proud of what our students achieve. Why not read their stories and see what happens on our course through our social channels?
Partnerships & Memberships
Your Career with a Graphic Design Degree
Our key aim is to help you successfully make that transition from being a design student to a professional designer and our impressive employment statistics prove that we’re very good at doing this. We make sure you have the necessary skills and experience to stand out from the crowd and be noticed. Our graduates work for national and international design and advertising consultancies, multi-media agencies, TV companies, publishing houses, magazines and many now run their own design studios.
Art and Design ranks 3rd for Student Satisfaction in the North West
- Complete University Guide 2021
Alongside our reputation for producing highly flexible and creative graphic designers, we are also widely respected within the industry for the excellence of our teaching of typography and magazine design. So much so that our editorial design graduates have been head-hunted by the major magazine publishing houses including Future Publishing, IPC and Condé Nast.
Essentially, we want to help you develop to your full potential as a creative, motivated, professional designer and would love to talk to you about how we can help get you started in the inspirational and exciting world of graphic design.
Why Choose University of Cumbria
Our aim is to give you the professional experience of being a graphic designer before you even graduate.
So, you’ll take on real-world, innovative project briefs, done to profession-expected timescales, and with a minimum of 25 in total, you’ll compile an impressive portfolio. You’ll also meet many renowned industry professionals and have the opportunity to showcase your work in London.
- Small classes mean we get to know you well and provide plentiful, detailed, personal feedback throughout your studies
- Practical demonstrations, visits and feedback from professional designers
- Our excellent industry links give you good networking opportunities, boosting your job prospects and you can also exhibit at a London graduate showcase
- Annual international visits
- Our annual Futures Festival – a three-day event offering you the opportunity to hear from industry professionals, get involved in networking and meet potential employers
- Quality of life – our specialist Arts Campus is set in beautiful parkland just a short walk from Carlisle’s vibrant city centre and don’t forget the Lake District is on our doorstep
- 80% of your studies will be practical, so you’re not just learning, you’re doing graphic design
- You can use any of our well-equipped workshop facilities including printmaking, 3D printing, laser-cutting, photography and animation suites
- Become ‘part of the family’ and create a base in our huge, modern and professionally-equipped studio
- Use the latest technology and Adobe Creative Cloud, software that you’ll use in industry
- All tutors are experts in graphic design, magazine design, illustration and typography
- Experience a wide variety of design disciplines so you can find and then focus on your specialities
You’ll learn the basic skills from idea visualisation to up-to-date multi-media practice on our dynamic course, allowing you to produce exciting designs across a wide range of traditional and digital media.
We’ll help you to build a portfolio to wow future employers, along with the confidence and creative skills necessary to stand out from the crowd as a professional designer when applying for a job.
Course Study Options
We also offer this course without an integrated foundation year.