You have a passion for being active outdoors, learning about yourself and how to work as a team. You enjoy acting for the environment and ensuring the safety, welfare and engagement of others.
Our two year BA (Hons) in Outdoor Education is more than a fast-track study to accelerate your career. We provide a programme of learning based in the heart of the Lake District National Park, where you can experience Outdoor Education throughout the seasons. We are responsive to environmental conditions and are privileged to be located amongst 214 mountains, countless rivers, lakes and tarns and close to Cumbria’s coastline.
You will learn with like-minded enthusiasts, building community and culture and enhancing environmental and social connections throughout your studies. Outdoor Education is about; the people, the place and the activity - and we will help you discover all three.
Our degree is a way of life that fully immerses you in outdoor learning, both theory and practice. You will be supported to understand the theory behind outdoor learning philosophy, ethics, environment, challenge and adventure in lecture theatres and seminars, with regular first-hand experience outdoors.
Your ideas and judgement will be valued and developed, and learning concepts will be put into practice during placements in environmental organisations, Outdoor Education Centres and Schools.
Our two-year degree is a fast-track version of the traditional three-year degree, meaning you will gain a full honours degree, but graduate a year earlier. At this point, you will be ready for the world of employment or you may choose to continue your study with us to become a qualified teacher or obtain a master's degree.
You can build on the theory and practice of teaching and learning, introduced in this degree, and choose to continue directly onto a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), completing both an undergraduate degree and a nationally recognised teacher training in only three years.
And if all that inspires you to learn more, we also have a master’s degree in Outdoor and Experiential Learning with pathways in Bushcraft and Health and Wellbeing for you to progress onto.
Take Our Virtual Campus Tour Here
Modules of Study
- Outdoor Education in the UK (Origins
- The Outdoor Learning Professional
- Outdoor Experiential Education 1
- Introduction to Cultural and Social Context
- Understanding the Environment
- Exploring Lake District Landscapes
- Leading Educational Groups Outdoors
- Consider Your Place(ment)
- Research Skills
- Outdoor Experiential Education 2
- Learning Away
- Optional module (taken from Outdoor Leadership, Outdoor Adventure and Environmental Studies, Geography programmes)
- Dissertation (including placement)
- Outdoor Experiential Education 3
- International Outdoor Education
- Outdoor Education for the Future
- Optional module (Outdoor Leadership, Outdoor Adventure and Environmental Studies, Geography)
Ambleside Campus Playlist
An Outdoor Education degree is a stepping stone to a variety of life-long and rewarding career options including teaching, outdoor education, environmental consulting, development training, mental health services and armed services.