Got a passion for photography, but not sure if you’re ready for a degree?
Well, our foundation course will give you a strong grounding to experience life through the camera lens to advance your studies to degree level.
You’ll learn all the essential photography basics - how to use a variety of cameras, both digital and film, how to make creative images, work in a studio and on location, and how to print your photos to a high standard.
In addition, you’ll explore historical and contemporary photographers and images to encourage you to develop your own style and flourish as a photographer ready for year one of the degree course.
Former students have gone into a range of photographic careers, become freelance photographers, curators and editors and some have secured solo exhibitions in art galleries just months after graduating.
The Photography Industry is worth ￡1.2 billion a year
Why not join them and kick-start your career in the photographic industry with our Photography course.
For an idea of what happens on our Photography Department, check our BA Photography Blog or follow the Photography Course on Instagram.
Partners & Memberships
Your Career with a Photography Degree
A degree in Photography can open up a fantastic range of career options. Freelance or in a permanent position, studio-based or on the move, the skills you learn will help you no matter what route you decide to take. Our former students have gone on to become assistant photographers, picture editors and researchers, forensic and medical photographers, gallery curators and more.
For many of our students, their career path begins even before graduation through commissions and success during their studies. Amy Trantum was given the university's Highest Achieving Student of the Year award in her third year, and Liam Collins won the first Young Cumbrian Artist of the Year in his second year. The shortlist of ten for this prize was exclusively made up of our photography students, so you can be sure of creating well-acclaimed photographs during this course.
Why Choose University of Cumbria?
Practical work is central to our course and so whether you’re studying technical skills, contemporary and traditional photography or exploring relationships between the photographer and their audience – there’ll always be a hands-on and experiential element to your learning.
We don’t believe in breeding one type of photographer, so you’ll have the freedom to pursue and develop your own individual and artistic repertoire.
- Automatic progression to BA (Hons) Photography course after foundation year
- 75% hands-on, practical work
- Easy access – without having to pre-book or queue – to up-to-date equipment
- Great facilities, including digital and dark rooms, an 80MP Mamiya Digital Camera and a colour processor
- Don’ have your own camera kit? No problem, you can borrow ours for free
- Ample opportunity to exhibit your work and to gain experience organising an exhibition
- Benefit from professional practice through client commissions
- Taught by internationally-renowned photographers and experts, who have published books in their field
- Tutors have good and current industry links
- Freedom to experiment and develop your own innovative practices
- Learn key skills employers will look for – including how to market yourself or set up your own business
We run an open-door policy, so you won’t need to book timeslots with our technicians and tutors, they’ll be on hand to help you hone your technical and creative work when you need it.
Course Study Options
We also offer this course without an integrated foundation year.